The School of Data Science and Analytics is proud to introduce a new course at Kennesaw
State University, an Introduction to Data Science. KSU, in combination with other
universities in the University System of Georgia, have identified a need to prepare
the general population of students with basic data analysis skills to keep them competitive
in the growing data-driven workplace. After consulting with various departments at
KSU, we were able to determine a need for students to not only have a solid foundation
in data literacy, but also the ability to manipulate data in Excel.
DATA 1501 is intended to provide an introduction to the field of Data Science. Students
will develop skills in appropriate technology and basic statistical methods by completing
hands-on projects focused on real-world data and addressing the social consequences
of data analysis and application. DATA 1501 will teach students how to independently
manipulate data in Excel, in addition to exploring larger data sets and more advanced
topics using other statistical software packages. The goal is to show students ways
in which data can be managed, as well as the wealth of information that can be obtained
by carefully managing the data. While some statistics topics will be explored, it
will be done from a perspective of applying the statistics concepts.
Who should take this course?
Everyone! The only prerequisite to this course is the completion of an Area A2 mathematics
course (MATH 1001, 1101, 1111, 1113, or STAT 1401). Any student may take DATA 1501 to satisfy their Area D gen ed requirement or as
an elective credit. When taken in succession after STAT 1401, the combination of the
courses provide a statistics pathway for major programs that require a basic knowledge
of these skills. The course was designed with the non-stem major in mind, so have
no fear – all students are welcome here.
Please contact Nicole Carder, DATA 1501 Course Coordinator, at email@example.com.
- STAT 1401
- STAT 3125
Services & Resources
Online and face-to-face tutoring offered. Online is by appointment only.
Face-to-Face in Clendenin 3060 (Kennesaw Campus)
- Mondays - 11:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Tuesdays - 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Wednesdays - 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Thursdays - 12:00 - 3:00 pm
Online on Microsoft Teams
- Mondays - 8:00 - 10:00 am & 4:00 - 8:00 pm
- Thursdays - 4:00 - 7:00 pm
To make an online appointment:
1. Download and ensure you can log into Microsoft Teams (you will log in using the same information as your KSU email) There is also a phone application you can download, if easier! Find more information on Teams here
2. Once you have Teams installed, you can access the online tutoring in one of two ways:
- Go to this link OR
- Once you are in Teams, click the tab/icon that says Teams. In the top right corner, you will see "Join or Create Team". Please click it and use the Join a team with a code option.
- THE TEAM CODE IS: 9nu5ljv
3. When you enter the Team, you will notice a “General” chat page. We are using this chat page as our sign-in sheet. ONLY CHAT ONE TIME PER VISIT.
- You will chat that you are "Here for Stat Tutoring" and a tutor will send you an individual message to initiate a call.
- Tutoring will be first come, first served so if you do not receive an immediate chat from a tutor, please be patient as they will reach out to you when you are next in line.
- If the demand for tutoring is high, tutoring will be limited to 15 minutes at a time. Please have questions ready when the tutor contacts you.
- Analytics and Data Science Ph.D. Student Handbook (2020-2021)
- Admission Checklist
- Graduate College Online Orientation
- KSU Graduate College Student Portal
- Kennesaw State Student Portal
- The Graduate Catalog
- Office of the Registrar
- Graduate Program Forms
- The Graduate Library
- Graduate Student Writing Center Help
- Tuition and Fee Information
- Graduate Student Association
- Student Health Insurance (GRAs)
- Dean of Students
- Global Learning Scholarship
- Program of Study
- Committee Approval
- Proposal Approval
- Candidacy Approval
- Dissertation Defense
- Travel Request
- Travel Expense Statement Form
(make sure you have the latest mileage rate)
- Overload Request Form
- Leave of Absence Form
- Petition to be Reinstated after Academic Dismissal
- Financial Aid Forms
- Student Health Forms